Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tame Impala: Innerspeaker

I was a bit skeptical when I first got this album after reading the rave review on it from the infamous Pitchfork. I have always seen Pitchfork as a hit-or-miss kind of blog, sometimes nailing the reviews on the money, or sometimes getting them horribly skewed. I can now say after having this album on repeat for quite some time that Pitchfork got it right....this time. From the very start, the echoing sounds bring into view an album that will rock your mind, and I'm not the hardcore rock fan. Being said to even have a little Beatles in them (apparently the lead singer sounds just like one in the Beatles, but I couldn't tell you since I haven't heard enough of the Beatles to make an assumption), Tame Impala does not disappoint. Those echoes are fantastic. The crashes, the dings, the quietness; all of it is perfectly. "I don't have a hope in hell", some of the lyrics in the first song show some deeper meaning than previously thought. Every song has its own touch of specialness, setting it apart from the last. "Runway, Houses, City, Clouds" includes some of the most impressive lyrics I've ever heard in a band. "And gazing out the window, as I ascend into the sky, but I'm the one who's left behind." Wow. Just wow. Trying to show a view on a dream to go to better and bigger places. I couldn't have done it any better. The hit single of the album has to be "Desire Be Desire Go." The use of no comma really irks me, but who really cares about song titles? Seriously, this song starts off with a bang, showing that this band knows how to jam out. The use of the electric guitar really brings the song more to life, almost feeling like they're playing right in your home. What else can I say? Go listen to the band since you know the rating's going to be high.

The rocking Australian band Tame Impala scores a 9.8 out of 10 with their debut album.  A superb album in a nutshell.

And who doesn't like psychedelic artwork? 

No comments:

Post a Comment